Re: exp(Matrix) in oct file?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: exp(Matrix) in oct file?
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 12:58:59 -0600

On 10-Mar-2004, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:

| You'd probably be better off along the lines of the funm.m from Rlab
| (which AFAICS is quite similar to the one in Matlab), licencing issues
| permitting of course.

FWIW, I find that code in RLaB is suspect because there have been
cases in the past where code from RLaB has clearly been copied from
Matlab.  In at least two cases, people took the code from RLaB and
translated it for Octave, thinking that it was OK because it was
distributed under the terms of the GPL as a part of RLaB.
Unfortunately, this was no good, because the code in RLaB was derived
directly from Matlab (in violation of the MathWorks' copyright) and
never should have been placed under the GPL.

If you plan to contribute to Octave, it is important that you not read
the Matlab M-file sources, and definitely not translate them for
inclusion in Octave.

Thanks,

jwe