Re: improving basic tests

From: Paul Thomas
Subject: Re: improving basic tests
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 06:51:59 +0100

John,

I would be prepared to help. However, it would have to be with a group, since the time that I can put in is limited. However, I am worried that I do not understand your example! It is not obvious to me that [](0x0) and its friends should not be put down before they are formed.

Paul T

John W. Eaton wrote:

We could use some improved tests for basic operations in Octave.  For
example, I discovered several bugs in matrix indexing in the last few
days that could have been found long ago if we had a more
comprehensive set of tests for indexing.  It would be very helpful if
someone (or some group) could volunteer to work on this task.

The current set of tests that are run by "make check" when Octave is
built from sources are far from complete, and are not in a form that
is convenient for running outside of the build environment.  It would
be better to have a set of tests that could be run through either
Octave or the other leading brand so we will have a way to do
automated compatibility testing.

For example, we need someone to write tests of the form

 x = 1;
 check (x(zeros (1, 0)) == zeros (1, 0));
 check (x(zeros (0, 1)) == zeros (0, 1));

for various object types and index types, where check is a function
that reports test failures.

The above code is just a simple example.  We will probably want to use
and build on the testing code that Paul Kienzle has written for the
octave-forge project, but we need to write a set of tests for basic
built-in operations, and I think his work has mostly focused on tests
for functions.

Once we have a set of tests for matrix indexing we can move on to
other areas such as indexed assignment, arithmetic and comparison
operations, basic built-in functions, etc.

This job will not be too difficult, and would be a great opportunity
for someone to contribute without needing to know about the internals
of Octave.

If you would like to help out, please contact me.

Thanks,

jwe