Re: Help me with these Errors

From: Paul Thomas
Subject: Re: Help me with these Errors
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 12:10:04 +0100

Saba,

The stream number (ie the value of logfile) of -1 has come about because there is an error in opening the log file. It is very likely because the subdirectory logs does not exist.

Assuming that you are in the directory, in which the sub-directory logs should be found, from the octave prompt type ls ./logs If the directory is not there, it will say so. If it is, it will tell you what files and subdirectories there are. Assuming that it is not, which is what I suspect, at the octave prompt, [ err , msg ] = mkdir ( "logs" ) , which should return err=0 and an msg="" if all is well.

By the way, the likes of fopen are very well documented -
help -i invokes the online manual and help -i <topic> sends you directly to the page for that topic; eg help -i fopen

Regards

Paul T

Saba Karim Shah wrote:

Hi,

I would like to know if someone can help me debug this
error. I am a beginner with Octave and I have
installed Octave 2.1.50 on Windows XP Pro. I have this
file which I am trying to run. The file as per the
author is trouble free and not to forget the author
has made the filed using Octave for Linux. When I run
the file the following error is generted.

error: fprintf: invalid stream number = -1
error: evaluating if command near line 66, column 1
error: near line 70 of file
`/cygdrive/c/utils/temp/octave-simulation/rsvp.m'

The lines where the error points to are:

# open the log files and write the first line showing
the order

logfile = fopen ("logs/simulation.log", "a+",
"native");

if (mp)
        fprintf(logfile, "# mp,    ");
else
        fprintf(logfile, "# moid,  ");
endif

The value of mp is set to zero in the begining of the
code.
Please help.

Regards,
Saba