Re: octave & hpc

From: Nathan Weisz
Subject: Re: octave & hpc
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 18:10:48 +0100

Hi Henry,

Binaries: octave-bin.tar.gz ,octave-mpi.tar.gz ,octave-forge-bin.tar.gz
(octave w/ extensions)
I assume that your are recommending the third of these 3 binaries?

yes. This installs octave 2.1.55 together with the newest octave-forge version.

Do I have to worry about my previously installed version of Octave 2.1.46 with Fink in /SW? I cannot afford to loose the old version if the new one should not work. It says that I would need a special Darwin (X11) version of
Aqua but I don't have X11 installed on my iMac OS X 10.2.8 (Jaguar).

It says that you need the Darwin-gnuplot. I use the one from fink and plotting works fine. Concerning the fink-version: I fink removed this version, and also g77. The latter one is obtainable from hpc as binary too. When you download the octave binary and follow the instructions given (i.e., sudo tar .... --> don't forget the "/" at the end) everything should be installed correctly. If something fails (didn't happen with me, but who knows) you can still remove the stuff you downloaded and easily download the fink-binary again. Perhaps an advice is only to switch if you need some new feature 2.1.46 does not have.

Best,
Nathan