Re: Regarding Octave

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Regarding Octave
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:48:06 -0500

On Feb 29, 2004, at 11:59 AM, Etienne Grossmann wrote:

  Hi,

if you use Debian Linux, it can be as simple as entering the commands

  apt-get install octave2.1

and octave-2.1 will be installed. I don't know how it works w/ other
linux distributions, but I think Red Hat and Suse have Octave binary
packages. This seems to be what is said on octave's download page

  http://www.octave.org/download.html

You did read the 'binaries' section of that page, right?

  For Windows -not my area of expertise- it points to cygwin and
octave-forge. In the later, at

I see a file called

  octave-2.1.50a-inst.exe

this *may* be a binary for octave itself. Hey! Someone on the list? Is
this an octave binary? Anyone who knows, please answer!

Yes, octave-2.1.50a-inst.exe is an installable package with
octave+octave-forge+gnuplot+cygwin all bundled together.
It uses different registry keys from Cygwin, so it won't interfere
with an existing installation.  It does not use Atlas or FFTW
or HDF.  Qhull and GiNaC are not included, so no symbolic
and no geometry toolbox.

For those without broadband, I would prefer to have these
available as separate packages but that will be a project
for somebody else.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden