Re: I need some help

From: Etienne Grossmann
Subject: Re: I need some help
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 12:53:16 -0500

  Hi Saba,

you should tell us a little more : do you work w/ Linux or Windows?
Are you familliar with command-line tools?

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 07:45:14AM -0800, Saba Karim Shah wrote:
# Hello Everybody,
#
# I am a beginner with simulation tools and want to
# start of with a Free Simulation tool and for that
# matter I have selected Octave.

Octave is mostly a numerical programming language. It should be ok for
simulations, but you will need to know something about entering
commands through

# I wanted to know a few things about Octave. I have
# tried to download Octave from the website, but I am
# unable to understand that what should I download
# usually an FTP window opens and there are more than 50
# files listed there do I have to download all of them
# in order to install Octave.

  This is the source code for version 2.1.1, 2.1.2, ... 2.1.55, each
in .tar.gz, tar.bz2 and patch format. If you want to start quickly w/
octave, you will probably prefer a binary software. There are links on
the octave web site.

# Secondly, what is the download size of Octave both for
# Linux and for Windows, I am asking this because I have
# a 56K dial-up connection and wanted to know if it
# would be possible for me to download using a dial up
# connection.

  I don't know ... can you download 2-3 megabytes reliably?

  Good luck!

  Etienne

# I'll look forward to hearing from you soon.
#
# Best Regards,
# Saba
#