Re: mkoctfile under windows

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: mkoctfile under windows
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:03:18 -0600

On 25-Feb-2004, Dobieslaw Paleczka <address@hidden> wrote:

| I can not find octave in Cygwin setup.

It is not part of the base Cygwin packages.  There is a Cygwin binary
package at ftp://ftp.octave.org/pub/octave/cygwin.  This package is
unfortunately not current (I think it is 2.1.49).  I wrote some
scripts to create binary packages of Octave for Cygwin as a proof of
concept.  Now someone else will have to take over building and
distributing them since I don't have time and I don't even use Windows
regularly.

There are also directions for how to install the Cygwin binary package
in the README.Windows file that comes with the Octave sources.  The
README.Windows file should also be up to date now on at
ftp.octave.org.

Octave could probably become one of the packages that is kept in the
cygwin.com collection, but it will require the work of a volunteer to
convince the Cygwin maintainers that the package should be included.
It will also require someone who is willing to continue to build
packages as new snapshots and releases of Octave appear.  I don't have
time to either of these things, so people who care about and use
Octave on Windows will need to take over some of the responsibility
for making these things happen.

If you are interested in helping to build binary packages, then please
contact me and I can send you the scripts I used to build the packages.

Thanks,

jwe