Re: editor for Octave

From: Christoph Dalitz
Subject: Re: editor for Octave
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 20:10:04 +0100

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 08:57:16 -0800
"robert Macy" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sc1
>  Version 1.57
>  by Neil Hodgson.
>  December 1998-November 2003.
>  http://www.scintilla.org
>
> Don't know if it runs on Linux, though.

Sure it does. You should use at least version 1.58 because it has
better Octave syntax highlighting support.

You should add a symlink to the scite editor in /usr/local/bin,
because the executable has an immemorable spelling, "ScItE" or
"SCitE" or something similar (I have forgotten the actual spelling).

Hugo Coolens <address@hidden> wrote:

> Which editor is recommended for use with Octave on a Linux system?
> (is syntaxhighlighting possible with it?)

One of the most versatile editors is Emacs. It has builtin support
for Octave: beside syntax highlighting it is even possible to send
the editor contents to an octave subprocess in a different window.

There exist two flavors of emacs: "Gnu Emacs" and "Xemacs". I would
recommend "GNU Emacs" because many macro packages do not work with
"Xemacs" (e.g. CUA mode).

If you are used to other editors, you should install the CUA-mode
from http://www.cua.dk/, which activates the usual keaboard shortcuts
for mark/cut/copy/paste.

Christoph Dalitz