Re: error compiling octave-forge-2004.02.12

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: error compiling octave-forge-2004.02.12
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:05:55 -0700

David L wrote:
I apologize if this is the wrong list. If so, please point me to the right one.

The "octave-help-list" perhaps would be more appropriate; forwarded accordingly.

When attemping to compile octave-forge-2004.02.12
with
gcc version 3.3.2 20040119 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.2-8)
on fedora core 2 test 1

<...deleted...>

It appears to me that you compiling octave-forge against stock redhat
octave. That version does not have --enable-shared option which is
required for octave forge. It has other shortcomings as well: it uses
a reference version of BLAS and fftpack.
Also installing octave-forge from scratch on top of octave rpm will
mix rpm with non-rpm stuff.
That what I do (and recommend to others):
rpm -e gnuplot (this is optional, you can keep old gnuplot alongside the new
one,
                but gnuplot included with RedHat is just too old for my taste))
rpm -e octave
rpm -e lapack
rpm -e blas

Get gnuplot-3.8k.0.tar.gz from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplot/
(tar zxvf ... ; ./configure --with-readline=gnu; make ; make install)

Get ATLAS (3.6.0 is recommended) from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=23725&package_id=27806
Though compiling it from scratch is recommended, it is somewhat involved and
may take a long time.
There are number of precompiled packages, and using package for architecture
"close enough" to yours (i.e. atlas3.6.0_Linux_PIIISSE1.tar.gz for Athlon)
will still give you significant performance increase relative to reference BLAS.
Assuming you are doing just that, tar zxvf ... ; cp libatlas.a libcblas.a
liblapack.a /usr/local/lib

Get fftw3.0.1 from www.fftw.org. tar zxvf ...; ./configure ; make ; make install

Get octave-2.1.55.tar.bz2 from ftp://ftp.octave.org/pub/octave/bleeding-edge/
tar jxvf ... ; ./configure --enable-shared --disable-static ; make ; make
install

Since you already have octave-forge-2004.02.12
tar ..., ./configure ; make ; make install

In your ~/.octaverc add the following lines:

gnuplot_binary="/usr/local/bin/gnuplot"
# This is to tell to use new gnuplot if you keep the original
gset mouse
# To enable mouse and hotkey support with new gnuplot
automatic_replot=false
# The default now "true" to make it somewhat more matlab compatible,
# but in my opinion it created more problems. Optional.

Note that this way all installed packages go cleanly to /usr/local
(well except if you want to 'wisdom' file for fftw which
must go to /etc/fftw, but lets not talk about it for now :).

Regards,
Dmitri.