Re: More on binary packages and FFTW/ATLAS

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: More on binary packages and FFTW/ATLAS
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:20:41 -0600

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 07:26:15PM -0600, Quentin Spencer wrote:
> Paul Kienzle wrote:
>
> >>We could do something similar, where Octave would not actually be
> >>linked with a Lapack or Blas library, but would dlopen them and look
> >>up functions as needed (or at startup, to fill in a table) and then
> >>call the linear algebra functions via pointers.  This way, it would
> >>be easy to switch from one linear algebra package to another, perhaps
> >>even at run time if you really wanted to do that.  Should we make a
> >>change like this?
> >
> >I see this as more of an install time than a run time issue. No need
> >to complicate the code when the os runtime already supports finding
> >and loading dynamic libraries.
>
> However, there's one argument for runtime detection I can think of. If
> octave and associated libraries are maintained centrally on a network
> file system for a group of users who may have different hardware types,
> it would be nice to have libraries available for all hardware types and
> have applications such as octave detect which one they should load.

If I recall correctly, and I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, Camm has that
covered too.  You may just want to install Debian on a scrap partition and
look at what he has done to see what you could do for FC.

Dirk

--
The relationship between the computed price and reality is as yet unknown.
                                             -- From the pac(8) manual page