Re: Is there a Simulink clone in Octave?

From: A S Hodel
Subject: Re: Is there a Simulink clone in Octave?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:15:33 -0600

Not as far as I know.  Components one could think of:
- a simulation engine/language
- a GUI for the language.

These two items could potentially be done separately. I've daydreamed about them, but haven't had time to attack them directly. I worked a few years ago with a NASA/MSFC simulation language (export controlled/can't be released) that involved writing a set of differential/difference equations in any random order with the ability for modular simulation description; the batch process sorted out data dependencies, translated to C, and then simulated the system. That
sort of approach would enable the development of a simulation language.
There was no (useful) GUI developed for the package, which was used from
the Apollo program through the late 90's.

Some features one would want to build into a simulation tool:
- modular description
- sort out algebraic loops (e.g., approximation of an op-amp by a constant gain block)
- discrete-time (sampled data), multirate systems
- discrete-event (irregular sampling) systems
- linearization capability (the NASA package used a specified set of math
  operations so that a symbolic derivative could be evaluated)

I've got some other thoughts on what to do, but not the time to develop them.