Re: Problem in OCST

From: A S Hodel
Subject: Re: Problem in OCST
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:58:36 -0600

There weere some cell array/list structure problems in the OCST for which I recently
submitted fixes; they should be in the CVS sources shortly if not already.

However, your real problem below is in the command
tf2sys([1,0,1],[1 0])
Octave will only accept transfer functions that have a realizable state-space
implementation. The above system has one more zero than pole, and so
cannot be converted to state space form.

I understand that MATLAB will permit non-proper transfer functions, since
many systems (e.g., the op-amp differentiation circuit) can be approximated
at low frequencies as differentiators. However, the omitted poles for such
an approximation will have an impact on the root-locus of a system, so the
results need to be handled carefully.

For the time being, you'll need to put in an approximation to a derivative,

s "=" s/(tau*s + 1) where tau is very small.