Re: octave imaging

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: octave imaging
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:52:11 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Stefan van der Walt wrote:
> It is, for example, very counterintuitive that the following code
> doesn't work:
>
> imshow(imread('image.jpg'))
>
> MATLAB handles the different images with 'classes', but I do not think
> Octave has that functionality.

The original octave-force image functions were designed with Matlab
4 or 5 compatibility in mind. Matlab has totally changed the way images
are handled in 6.x.

This is extremely irritating for me. I'm teaching a medical imaging course,
and I want to allow students to use octave or any version of Matlab, but I
find it almost impossible to give code examples that work accross this
range of products.

We could change to the Matlab way of handling images, but
  - I find it counterintuitive (if a matrix is uint8 then a value
    of 128 means one thing, if the matrix is double, then 0.5 has the
    same semantics)

  - We'll end up breaking lots of old octave code

On the other hand, the octave-forge imaging functions are somewhat
inconsistent, and could do with a re-write anyway.

Comments?

Andy