Plot uses results from previous script, gnuplot retention problem?

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Plot uses results from previous script, gnuplot retention problem?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:25:19 -0800

I've posted before a problem with axis "retention", i.e. the axis statement
does not agree with what is used after axis was changed once and then
reverted back to default.

I'm now reporting on a potentially more serious problem and am asking if
anybody has had this problems before:

1. I'm using a data matrix, then a script which produces a "Results" matrix
and the script includes a graph (gset term aqua 1). The graph is as expected
and uses the following major plot statements:
plot (TriangleCorners(:,1),TriangleCorners(:,2),"3*")
hold on
plot (Results(:,8),Results(:,9),"x").
The plot is titled "Figure 1".

2. I use *clear all*, just to be sure, reload the same data matrix, and now
use a *different script*, which includes the same plot commands but uses
different results in columns 8 and 9 of the "Results" matrix. The plot is as
expected and is graphed in a new window (set term aqua 2 for checking
purposes). The plot window is titled "Figure 2".

3. Again I use **clear all**, just to be sure, reload the same data matrix,
and now use *again* the *first script* (I've changed the script to "set aqua
term 3", for checking purposes). I should get the same plot as in Figure 1
*but* Figure 3 is the same as Figure 2!?
I check the results matrix, which is correct, but the plot titled is still
using the data that was used for Figure 2.  Although I had cleared the
octave workspace, the results were retained somewhere, perhaps someplace in
gnuplot?

4. I terminate and reopen the terminal window window on my iMac, then reload
octave and get back to the same directory. Then I reload the data, use the
first script for the third time (I've changed to "gset term aqua 4" for
checking purposes) and now graph "Figure 4" is as expected and identical to
that in "Figure 1".

What should I do to better substantiate this potential problem.
Henry