Re: matlab nargin() function alternative in octave?

From: Sharene Deanne Bungay
Subject: Re: matlab nargin() function alternative in octave?
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:02:51 -0500

Hi Tomer,

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 15:30, address@hidden wrote:
> Wait, you don't have control over the Matlab M-files? Are they
> read-only? You can always copy them...

Just too many to bother with if an alternative solution exists.

> Well, I guess the user has to select the module sometime, so why not
> use that in a message-passing function?

Agreed. Would have probably taken this route if there wasn't a simple
alternative to the nargin("string") functionality.

> If this entire module is in your path, and the multiple copies (lets
> say around 25) of "myfunc" are in that module, then how does your
> program differentiate between them?

For the most part it doesn't, just calls them blindly by the looks of
it. I should make an additional point clearer now...the algorithm I am
attempting to get working is also third-party, but makes use of the
nargin thing. The whole thing has taken a somewhat less graceful
approach to what I would have taken.

> Though this is not your fault,
> this sounds like extremely bad coding practice (i.e. meaningless
> function names ).

I agree *completely* with that! :)

> Okay, I've read your post a second time, and I think that I understand
> it more. But can you clarify the following?
>
> 1. You're writing a module/library, which will call the Matlab
>    modules/libraries, and will be used by a third-party?
>
> 2. You're writing a script yourself which calls the Matlab
>    libraries/modules?
>
> If I've misunderstood what you've written, please correct me.

3. I'm attempting to get a third-party large body (7000 lines) of matlab
code working under octave, and would prefer to make minimal changes
to the overall structure of the design.

With the new nargin("string") functionality, it seems to progress much
further now. (A big thank you goes to JWE for that.)

Thank you for your great suggestions Tomer.

Cheers,
Sharene