error: `plot' undefined

From: Joel Salomon
Subject: error: `plot' undefined
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:50:00 -0500 (EST)

I compiled octave 2.1.52 under cygwin on my WinXP box. I tried some of the
examples, including ploting, and everything worked. Then I wiped the
installation clean and started over from untaring, ./config , etc. in
order to use FFTW that I had in the meantime downloaded.

After the new ./configure;make;make install, the 'plot' command no longer
works. When I try it, I get an error message "plot undefined". The *.m
files are there in the /usr/local/share/octave/.../plot directory. (I
forget the exact sequence, I'm on a different machine right now) This
plot/ directory is a subdirectory of a directory in DEFAULT_LOADPATH whose
entry there ends in // - supposedly recursively including plot/ along with
the others.

Even adding the plot/ subdirectory to LOADPATH only adds
plot/plot/plot/... to the auto-complete.

I have found a couple of cases of somthing like this in the archives, but
no answers :-(

Thank you,

--Joel