Mkoctfile, need dynamic linking even for compiling a .cc file?

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Mkoctfile, need dynamic linking even for compiling a .cc file?
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:54:56 -0800

To *use* an .oct file, I must have an Octave version which supports dynamic
linkng, which I don't have yet. Presumably it also means that I cannot even
*compile* a .cc source file (to make my .oct executable file) for practice
purposes? In contrast I can compile and run my own hello.c.
Henry

[~] tcsh:17> cd ../../sw/share/doc/octave/examples
[doc/octave/examples] tcsh:18> ls
Makefile                  info-emacs-info           oregonator.cc
Makefile.in               info-emacs-octave-help    oregonator.m
hello.cc                  make_int.cc

[doc/octave/examples] tcsh:19> mkoctfile oregonator.cc
/var/tmp//cc5GNwcZ.s:unknown:FATAL:can't create output file: oregonator.o

[doc/octave/examples] tcsh:31> mkoctfile hello.cc
/var/tmp//cc9Bo7wZ.s:unknown:FATAL:can't create output file: hello.o

[~/cando] tcsh:36> gcc hello.c
hello.c: In function `main':
hello.c:3: warning: return type of `main' is not `int'
[~/cando] tcsh:37> a.out
Hello, World!
[~/cando] tcsh:38> cat hello.c
#include <stdio.h>