Re: Parsing nightmare

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Parsing nightmare
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:45:22 -0500 (EST)

    [indmintmp,indmaxtmp] = extr( mps( k, max([(limpsl(k,i)-1),1]):finps(k,i),
i ) );

   error: invalid number of indices (3) for matrix value

Unfortunately, this is a fundamental issue, which is only being
resolved in the most recent versions of Octave. The statement above
calls the extr() function on mps(k,x,i), where
x=max([(limpsl(k,i)-1),1]):finps(k,i); that implies that mps is a 3D
array, which is a relatively new Matlab and Octave facility.

I guess I am surprised that the problem didn't appear earlier, when mps was
being
set up---presumably there has to be code somewhere assigning values to
mps(i,j,k).

There are two solutions to that: either use a late-version octave with
multidimensional matrices, or recast the code to use matrix cells (q.v).