Parsing nightmare

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Parsing nightmare
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:25:39 -0700

In converting a MATLAB script, the following statement is confusing to both
me and Octave. The statement is

 [indmintmp,indmaxtmp] = extr(mps(k,max([(limpsl(k,i)-1),1]):finps(k,i),i));

Where extr is a routine that returns the extrema in a row vector (mps in
this case) of data for spline fitting. The error that Octave, even in
--braindead mode, gives is

error: invalid number of indices (3) for matrix value

At first I thought the max function was the problem, but placing that into a
separate statement ahead of this statement pointed to problems with the
finps(k,i),i portion of the statement. Both k and i are indices apparently
set to 1 at the time of the error. The variable finps was defined previously
by

% end of available data for block sifting
finps(1,1:NBPRESIFT) = 1;
finps(1,1) = 10*PAS;

Where PAS is set to 20.

I suspect I need some extra parentheses or other delimiters to resolve this,
but my arbitrary tries at inserting extra parentheses didn't fix the
problem.

What is finps(k,i),i trying to do? Select a column? How would MATLAB parse
this? How do I rewrite the statement? Any ideas will be appreciated.

Joe Koski