Re: color choice in plotting

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: color choice in plotting
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 16:00:32 -0600

On  9-Jan-2004, Henry F. Mollet <address@hidden> wrote:

| Yes, but how is to be done using gnuplot-style plotting (if it can be called
| that) as per Octave manual and as per original question?
| Say we use:
| octave:7> x = [0:pi/50:10]';
| octave:8> data = [x, sin(x), cos(x)];
| octave:9> gplot data with lines, data using 1:3 with points
|
| sin (x) is red, cos(x) is green and we'd like both to be the same color of
| our choice.
|
| octave:10> gplot data with lines, data using 1:3 with points linetype 1
| error: `linetype' undefined near line 10 column 51
| error: evaluating plot style command

This has come up many times, and the answer is that Octave does not
support "linetype" as an option to gplot and probably never will.  The
problem is that since Octave has to parse the command, it creates a
maintenance problem when gnuplot changes (the linetype option was not
always a part of gnuplot, for example).

I expect that gplot and gsplot and all of that other gnuplot-specific
interface will eventually be removed from Octave.  So you should
probably be using the higher-level plot functions if possible.  If you
find that you can't do everything you want with those, then please
help to improve Octave so that there will be no need for gplot,
gsplot, etc.  Sorry that this is not documented in an obvious place
(yet).

jwe