Re: Ops on matrix in cell array much slower than on bare matrix

From: Glenn Golden
Subject: Re: Ops on matrix in cell array much slower than on bare matrix
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:29:32 -0700

"John W. Eaton" writes:

> If you really need the speed, then workaround is:
>
>   t = y{1};
>   y{1} = [];
>   t(1) = 123.4;
>   y{1} = t;

Ouch.  OK, well now I know what the problem is anyway, thanks.  Probably
this workaround won't be feasible in my situation, but I appreciate your
prompt response.

I'll probably wind up using explicit matrices (e.g. y11, y12, ...) and
then unroll the loops.  Fortunately, there are only 16 of them and they're
arranged 4x4, so with a little help from the text editor it shouldn't be
too bad.

If I weren't in a rush, I'd pick up the latest Octave and try it with n-D
matrices, but just no time for that at the moment.

Thanks again,

Glenn