Re: Gnuplot

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: Gnuplot
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:38:10 -0800

> The gnuplot manual looks like it was
> glued together in the 80s, and it reads like a treatise on ancient graphics
> systems (DEC Regis, Tektronix 401x, etc.) and operating systems(Vax VMS,
> Amiga, etc.). Just one of the challenges with use of free software, I guess.
> I'm just happy things work as well as they do.
>
> Joe Koski

Gnuplot manual is very terse indeed. However, it may be beneficial in some
cases to read it and even use gnuplot instead of octave? It appears that
gnuplot has an "easy" to use fitting procedure for fitting data to a
non-linear fitting function f(x). It uses the Marquardt-Levenberg algorithm
to minimize the least squares (="loss-function". I don't know if there is a
way to use my own loss-function (e.g. max likelihood) and I also don't know
how to create the loss-function as a function of the parameters. If I had
the latter, then I could splot the loss function in parameter space to get
confidence levels instead of having to use asymptotic standard errors which
are said to be useful for only qualitative purposes.

I have searched Octave for the equivalent or better but no luck so far. The
optimization chapter (24) in the manual has
24.1 Linear Programming (empty)
24.2 Quadratic Programming (empty)
24.3 Nonlinear Programming (empty)
24.4 Linear Least squared (providing functions gls and ols).

Am I looking in the correct place?
Henry