Re: changing label of a hist ?

From: Avraham Rosenberg
Subject: Re: changing label of a hist ?
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 07:15:34 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Bart Vandewoestyne wrote:

> Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 00:41:25 +0100
> From: Bart Vandewoestyne <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: changing label of a hist ?
>
> For simple plotting, it is possible to change the label using for example:
>
> plot(Xreal, Yreal, ';Real distribution;');
>
> Unfortunately, with the 'hist' command, this doesn't work:
>
> hist(data, bins, ';Generated data;');
> ---> gives errors
>
> Is it possible to change the label of the 'hist' plotted data, or
> would that take me far down delving into the code of hist.m ?
>
> Regards,
> Bart
>
> --
> Bart Vandewoestyne                Bart.Vandewoestyne_at_pandora.be
> Naamsesteenweg 328 bus 201                 GSM: +32 (0)478 397 697
> B-3001 Heverlee                                http://osswin.sourceforge.net
> "Theory is the general; experiments are the soldiers." (Leonardo da Vinci)

Hi,
As usual, there are several solutions, depending on the amount of time
you are wiiling to spend on them.
1-As the histogram plot contains only one graph, there is no reason to
insist on putting your information on a legend: title("Real
distribution");plot(Xreal, Yreal) would do the trick.
2-If the rather silly "line 1" inside the frame pisses you, you can
issue the command "gset nokey", immediately before and "gset key"
immediately after.
3-If you are as impulsive and sloppy as me, you can modify the function
bar.m, by putting the above mentioned commands before/after the line
plot (tmp_xb, tmp_yb); or modify it to be plot (tmp_xb, tmp_yb, ";;");
4-A slightly better way is to replace this line by:
plot (tmp_xb, tmp_yb, ";;"); # originally plot (tmp_xb, tmp_yb); .
modified on a rainy afternoon, A.R.
5-The proper thing to do is to copy hist.m and bar.m to the directory
where you store your own mfiles, modify mbar.m like above and rename it
candybar.m. Then you modify your copy of hist.m to call candibar instead
of bar, and rename it to something handy and intuitive, which you will
call instead of hist.
6-The alter4native to 5, if you think that your problem is shared by
many others is to suggest a permanent change in bar.m by submiting a bug
report...
Good luck, Avraham
PS Suggestions tested on octave-2.1.50, on a debian-3r1 stable release.