Re: Mersenne Twister rand in octave forge

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: Mersenne Twister rand in octave forge
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 13:56:17 -0600

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 06:54:09PM +0000, cctsim wrote:
> While investigating the speed of different random number
> generators I found that the rand function provided by
> octave forge is slower than randmt found in
>
> http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/code/octave-mt.html
>
> I used the test provided by compare_rngs.m found in
> http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/code/octave-mt/compare_rngs.m.txt
>
> The confusing bit is a note on the top of the above page that states:
> "Note that this has been integrated, in a more polished rewrite by Paul
> Kienzle, into Octave-Forge."

Exactly, see the file FIXES/rand.cc in the octave-forge distribution. This
file contains Paul Kienzle's very nice wrapping this Mersenne Twister
generator into the same same calling interface as the original rand()
function by John Eaton.

Dirk

--
The relationship between the computed price and reality is as yet unknown.
                                             -- From the pac(8) manual page