Re: convolution and fourier transform

From: Christoph Dalitz
Subject: Re: convolution and fourier transform
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:39:33 +0100

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:14:17 -0500 (EST)
Przemek Klosowski <address@hidden> wrote:

>    Are there also functions (maybe in octave-forge?) which compute
>    the *continuous* convolution (\int_0^x f(x-y)g(y)dy or
>    \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x-y)g(y)dy) and the *continuous* fourier
>    transform of functions?
>
> what would be the result of such operation---a function? Octave isn't
> a symbolic algebra system, just a linear algebra/numerical tool, so
> the primitive objects are discrete matrices, not generalized functions;
> the operations on those are necessarily discretized.

Both the convolution and the fourier transform are integrals with a parameter.
Thus I am looking for a function which calculates numerically these integrals
for a given set of parameters. For instance

        convolution("f","g",xvec)

would compute the convolution of the user defined functions f and g at the given
points xvec. While this could be emulated with the discrete convolution (just
interpret
it as a Riemann sum), the same is not easily done with the Foruier transform:
although
the Discrete Fourier Transform is somehow related to the Riemann sum of the
integral Fourier
transform, numerical accuracy requires some sophisticated iteration to control
the aliasing
effect.

Christoph