Re: Broken .octave_hist

From: Per Persson
Subject: Re: Broken .octave_hist
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 23:18:07 +0100

On Sunday, December 7, 2003, at 12:21 AM, Joe Koski wrote:

(Incidently, I had tried building octave 2.1.50 from source, but that plan was abandoned when I couldn't get the OSF readline "make" to work because of
missing library files:

ld: Undefined symbols:
restFP
saveFP
_tgoto
[snip]

You may stick with a static libreadline by using --disable-shared option with configure _or_ build a shared lib by editing support/shobj-conf so that the SHLIB_LIBS entry for darwin (line 151) reads
SHLIB_LIBS='-lSystem -lcc_dynamic -lncurses'
instead of
SHLIB_LIBS='-lSystem'

(This issue/fix is known to the readline maintainers.)

The building of the octave-forge routines was not smooth, but
the "make install" seemed to go OK.

It would help if you elaborated on "not smooth".

The ./configure gave a long list of NOINSTALLS, but I went ahead anyway.

This is what I get here:
./extra/engine/NOINSTALL
./extra/fake-sparse/NOINSTALL
./extra/NaN/NOINSTALL
./extra/patches/NOINSTALL
./extra/perl/NOINSTALL
./extra/tk_octave/NOINSTALL
./extra/ver20/NOINSTALL
./main/parallel/NOINSTALL
./nonfree/gpc/NOINSTALL
./nonfree/splines/NOINSTALL

The
"make" file exited complaining

/usr/bin/texi2dvi: tex: command not found
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: tex exited with bad status, quitting.
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: see comms.log for errors.
make[2]: *** [comms.dvi] Error 1
rm comms.texi
make[1]: *** [comm/] Error 2
make: *** [main/] Error 2

I don't have tex (as in LaTex?) on my machine and I thought it was related only to help file construction, so I went ahead with "sudo make install"
anyway. I could send a copy of the .log file if it would help.

OK, you've gotten a partial install then, I suppose. This is the source of your problems.

Tex is a build-time dependency and doesn't come with the octave binary install. So, if you want to install octave-forge-2003.06.02 you need (la)tex. I seem to recall some discussion about this in the past. If latex is a dependency, it should be checked for (makeinfo, texi2dvi and texi2html are present by default but not dvips and dvipdf).

Your quick'n dirty fix is to remove $(DOCS) from target 'all' in line 38 of main/comm/Makefile and build/install.

About the time of the octave-forge installation, my history of
commands in
.octave_hist stopped being updated.

No idea. What is the value of variables 'history_file' and
'saving_history'?

[snip]

Sorry, no idea. I don't think any part of octave-forge messes with the history stuff.

Finally, the output of 'octave_config_info' could give some clues to
whether the binary install is sane.

Attached to this e-mail in case it's helpful. I'll also see if something
obvious jumps out from looking at it.

Looks OK to me.

/Per

PS. I'll see if the octave-forge list have some more info on this.