Broken .octave_hist

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Broken .octave_hist
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:40:07 -0700

As a new octave 2.1.50 user on Mac OS X 10.2.8, I installed octave in
usr/local from binaries (not from Fink). Everything worked fine until I
needed some cubic spline routines, and installed (from source)
octave-forge-2003.06.02. The spline routines from octave-forge seem to be
working fine. The building of the octave-forge routines was not smooth, but
the "make install" seemed to go OK. (As an aside, I wish that we could fix
more OSF make files so that they will work properly with OS X and limit the
need for Fink, etc. to exist.)

About the time of the octave-forge installation, my history of commands in
.octave_hist stopped being updated. Also, now when I start octave, I get the
error

error: `dispatch' undefined near line 2 column 1
error: near line 2 of file
`/usr/local/share/octave/2.1.50/site/m/octave-forge/comm//PKG_ADD'

Are these problems related, and how do I fix the them? I tried reinstalling
the octave 2.1.50 binaries, but that did not solve the problem. Do I need to
delete a particular file before reinstalling? I also tried renaming
.octave_hist in ~/ to see if a new history file would be created, but no
luck. Creating a dummy history file with "touch .octave_help" didn't help
either.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Joe Koski