Hiding subroutines?

From: Vic Norton
Subject: Hiding subroutines?
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 17:46:11 -0500

Is there a way to hide functions that are utilities for a main routine?

For example, I am writing a Simplex Method, Phase 2 function, simp2, that uses a bunch of utility subroutines. When I compile things and ask "who" I see

   *** currently compiled functions:

   ea2b       icmp       ivect2set  ltsolve    simp2      utsolve
   fu         iset2vect  ix2e       replidx    simp2step

I would like to just see "simp2". The other stuff is supporting this. Is there some way to accomplish this?

Second question. Some of these "utilities" are undoubtedly internal to octave. I wonder if the internal routines can be accessed directly. For example "utsolve" and "ltsolve" just solve upper and lower triangular systems respectively:

        ## utsolve
        x = b;
        for i = m : -1 : 1
                if (U(i,i) == 0)
                        error("diagonal element is zero in utsolve\n");
                endif
                x(i,:) = (b(i,:) - U(i,i+1:m) * x(i+1:m,:))/U(i,i);
        endfor

and

        ## ltsolve
        x = b;
        for i = 1 : m
                if (L(i,i) == 0)
                        error("diagonal element is zero in ltsolve\n");
                endif
                x(i,:) = (b(i,:) - L(i,1:i-1) * x(1:i-1,:))/L(i,i);
        endfor

Regards,

Vic

--