Re: random sort

From: Heber Farnsworth
Subject: Re: random sort
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 22:49:20 -0600

I think your problem is that you are trying to sort something the same size as X when you really only want to sort a vector with as many elements as X has columns.

If X is NxM then do

[S I] = sort(rand(N,1));

and Y has the same columns as X but in shuffled order.

You didn't mention whether you wanted to sample with replacement or not. This just re-orders the columns. It's a different trick if you want to admit the possibility that some columns of X may not show up in Y while others are repeated. That's what you would do if you were boostrapping data for instance.

Heber