Re: Installing Octave using FinkCommander

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: Installing Octave using FinkCommander
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:49:14 -0800

Thank you and apologies for incomplete info. I'm still using Mac OSX
V.10.2.8 (not 10.3 Panther) and was under the impression that
Fink/FinkCommander would lead me to latest source code.

Whereas I noticed that an info and a patch file for 2.1.50-11 were
downloaded during the failed installation, it was only octave-2.1.46.tar.gz
that was downloaded but then apparently not installed because of alleged
problem with package system-xfree86-4.2-13. (I don't need xfree86 because my
previous version of Octave, 2.1.35, installed 1 yr ago using Fink, worked
fine using Gnuplot in combination with AquaTerm).

I had a look at http://homepage.mac.com/chibaf/math/macosx/install/
which looks promising and I'll work on it as soon as the link to Octave
loads in my browser. However, this URL appears to have conflicting
information. It first mentions what's needed (OS 10.2 or later, Developer,
AND FINK). Then it says to install g77, which I suspect is not needed if
FINK was installed?) and then it gives
% .configure
% make
% sudo make install
instructions for some of the programs (e.g. Gnuplot and Octave with Atlas
and fftw) implying that we are not using Fink.

Similar to the current thread on installation of Octave on PC, the
instructions apparently are never quite clear for many on Mac or PC to get
Octave running, so one could use this great program without major
difficulties to begin with.
Henry