Installing Octave using FinkCommander

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Installing Octave using FinkCommander
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 14:18:07 -0800

I know this is a Fink or FinkCommander problem but I'm hoping a Mac user on
this list will be able to help.

I've tried to upgrade Octave to the latest available version on Fink and
failed and deleted previous version of Octave by mistake.

I've tried to install octave 2.1.46-1 using FinkCommander and
after 6.5 hours of compilation, the installation failed:
### execution of dpkg failed, exit code 1
Failed: can't install package system-xfree86-4.2-13

I did not anticipate xfree86 was needed and I may have made a mistake with
regard to any options presented for this during installation.

A little checking showed that
SW/Applications/AquaTerm (application) was present/installed and could be
opened. The tar.gz files for both octave and gnuplot were present in SW/SRC
but neither application was installed.

Before trying re-installation, I'm hoping for tip. Thanks
Henry