Re: Starting using octave

From: taltman
Subject: Re: Starting using octave
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 19:06:56 +0000 (UTC)

On Dec 1, 2003 at 12:52am, acoohdb wrote:

acoohd >>For the ultimate Octave hacking experience, I'd recommend running it
acoohd >>from within Emacs ( NT Emacs, in your case ), with Octave-Mode
acoohd >>on. That will give you about as much editor as one can handle. ;-)
acoohd >
acoohd >I'm running 98SE, not being a fan of m$. My pascal versions run in DOS,

Wait, you're not a fan of m$, and you're running 98SE? Talk to Dirk
about Quantian. :-)

acoohd >largely because when using a PC as a process controller, I like to be in
acoohd >total command. Pascal (even very early ones) shipped with a small and

Total command? Great! You're describing GNU Emacs (works on 98SE):

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html

acoohd >simple editor that was your front end to the compiler and only later,
acoohd >when one had more experience, did one contemplate more powerful third
acoohd >party ones. That meant you were up and running from the off and I would
acoohd >guess very few new users were even aware of the nuts and bolts going on.
acoohd >I suspect many never were.

>From within Emacs, you can have multiple windows open. So, for
example, I'm often working with a window open for my source code, one
for a shell ( in your case, the DOS shell ), and one showing my
interactive Octave session. You can do this with other computer
languages as well. Plus, Emacs does source code hi-lighting in
multiple colors, which makes catching syntax bugs easier.

Just my $0.02,

~Tomer