Re: Uninstalling windows octave destroyed my cygwin installation!

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Uninstalling windows octave destroyed my cygwin installation!
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:45:50 -0600

On 30-Nov-2003, Andy Adler <address@hidden> wrote:

| On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, John W. Eaton wrote:
|
| > For Cygwin users, I think that it would be best to have
| > Cygwin packages of Octave, Octave-Forge, ATLAS, gnuplot, etc.  Can we
| > agree that this is the best way of handling Octave installations for
| > people who already have Cygwin?  I have already created packages for
| > Octave, octave-forge, and gnuplot.
|
| This would be the ideal scenario, assuming that the various flavours
| of windows can handle the same build, otherwise we have
|
|    octave-winnt-user
|    octave-winnt-developer
|    octave-win9x-user
|    octave-win9x-developer
|    octave-forge-winnt-user ... etc
|
| which would be a real pain to maintain.
|
| Can anyone update me on this situation?

My assumption here is that Octave works within Cygwin, and Cygwin
handles all the details of dealing with the underlying OS.  If that
works with Windows 9x, then great, but if it doesn't, I don't really
care, because those systems are more obsolete every day.  If someone
else cares about trying to support them, then that is also fine, but I
don't think we should do that within the context of Cygwin packages.

I think we would just have packages that mirror the ones found in
Debian, if possible:

  octave - The GNU Octave language for numerical computations
  octave-doc - Postscript documentation on the GNU Octave language
  octave-headers - Header files for the GNU Octave language
  octave-htmldoc - HTML documentation on the GNU Octave language
  octave-info - GNU Info documentation on the GNU Octave language

  octave-forge - Contributed functions for GNU Octave from http://octave.sf.net

  octave-epstk - GNU Octave encapsulated postscript toolkit
  octave-matcompat - Empty transition package for octave-forge
  octave-sp - Semidefinite Programming functions for GNU Octave
  octave-statdataml - XML based data exchange format (Octave library)
  octave-gpc - Octave bindings for the General Polygon Clipper Library

plus support packages like those for atlas, blas, lapack, and gnuplot.

When Octave has a package system of its own (for distributing
user-developed additions), then we can probably eliminate some of
these in favor of OS-independent Octave packages.

jwe