Re: Starting using octave

From: robert Macy
Subject: Re: Starting using octave
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 10:36:16 -0800

Agree wholeheartedly with many of the comments of the first
author, especially concerning his "initial" frustration.

As far as any requirement for octave to contain an editor,
you're right - no need.  With the line editor function more
of a tease than a function, for simplicity during
interactive programming, I use Notepad to create and modify
script files.

However, even with my experience in Basic, Fortran, C,
Pascal I too had a very frustrating initial learning curve.

Just a simple list of "how to" step by step instructions
would have been greatly appreciated. A little more
attention toward the creation of the manual and having the
manual contain examples would have helped.

However, once through the initial hazing phase I am very
satisfied with the power and robustness of octave, not to
mention the *excellent* customer service one gets here in
the help group.

             - Robert -