Re: Octave Limits

From: Daryl Warkentin
Subject: Re: Octave Limits
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:09:11 -0600

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 11:45, Przemek Klosowski wrote:
>    limited to 2GB. When I create the file on an ext3 partition I seem to
>    have no limit (at 3.5GB right now and counting) and as an added benefit
>    it is significantly faster.
>
> Cool beans!  I forget what's the limit on ext3---per
> http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html, ext2/3 supports LFS
> i.e. 2^63 bytes, i.e. over 9 giga OF gigabytes; the practical
> file size depends on block size and is more than 2TB (see
> the 'Maximum On-Disk Sizes of the Filesystems' table).

Upon further inspection I have found that Octave does seem to have a
file size limit of 2GB. I tested my filesystem by creating a file using:

cat /dev/zero >> testfile

with which I was able to create files larger than 2GB.

I got the following error while running one of my scripts:

octave:25> noisegen
panic: File size limit exceeded -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
save to `octave-core' complete
File size limit exceeded

And the file was exactly 2GB. This happens on both ext3 and FAT32
filesystems. I am running a 2.4.21 kernel.

--
Daryl Warkentin, P. Eng.
Hardware Engineering