Re: lists and cell arrays ?

From: taltman
Subject: Re: lists and cell arrays ?
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:23:42 +0000 (UTC)

Please find my comments interspersed below:

On Nov 19, 2003 at 2:02pm, John W. Eaton wrote:

jwe >Subject: Re: lists and cell arrays ?
jwe >
jwe >On 19-Nov-2003, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
jwe >
jwe >| I think that I'm getting confused. Are we talking about "user defined
jwe >| types" in the C++/OCT-file sense,
jwe >
jwe >Yes.

I don't think the terms "user defined types" and OCT-files go
together. When I think of a 'user', I think of the average joe who
knows as much about interpreters as the average Matlab coder, which is
very little. I think of OCT-files & such as being more in the domain
of Octave developers.

jwe >
jwe >| As Octave stands now, I can create a binary tree data type just from
jwe >| the interpreter, using nested cell-arrays.
jwe >
jwe >I would say that you have created a representation of a binary tree
jwe >using cell arrays, but you haven't introduced a new data type in Octave.

Okay, then it is just semantics. I would say that I, as a user, have
used some of the primitive built-in data representations to fashion a
more complex, abstract data type to handle a particular task/algorithm.

jwe >
jwe >jwe
jwe >

~Tomer