Re: assign list of variables to a string array?

From: taltman
Subject: Re: assign list of variables to a string array?
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:08:48 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

Please find my comments interspersed below:

thorst >Is there a way to assign the names of the user defined variables to a
thorst >string array?
thorst >I tried
thorst >        a = who;
thorst >but that does not work: who has no return value.

Yes, 'who' & 'whos' do not have return values, but if you do the
following:

x = who;

You'll get the cell-array of strings. At least I do on Octave 2.1.50.

thorst >I need a function that loads an octave data file into a structure
thorst >variable. E.g., if the file contains three variables a,b,c, they should
Consider using a cell-array as a data structure. It can readily be
saved & loaded in its entirety.

~Tomer