Re: A little more privacy

From: Radu Prekup
Subject: Re: A little more privacy
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:32:39 +0200 (EET)

> > On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:29:46 +0100
> > Lute Kamstra <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> The problem can be solved by deleting email addresses from web
> >> archives and adding buttons that give you those email addresses.
> >> This way, spider bots don't find the email addresses, but humans
> >> do.
> >
> > Why should any non list member be able to find the email addresses
> > of list members over the archives? I would prefer to protect email
> > addresses entirely.
>
> Now and then, I look into web archives of mailing lists that I'm not
> subscribed to.  (For example, to see if it is worth my while to
> subscribe.)  Sometimes I read something interesting and I'd like to
> contact the author about it.  Isn't that a legitimate reason to get an
> email address?

I agree. One simple thing can be done to guarantee a little bit more
privacy. Most spammers use bots to scour the net for email addresses. If
you write your address for example like nameAThostDOTwhatever the chances
are better that your name doesn't end up on a spammer's address list.
Oh and I don't think that I have received any spam due to this list.
Knock on wood, spit over left shoulder :)

Radu Prekup