Re: A little more privacy

From: Christoph Dalitz
Subject: Re: A little more privacy
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:54:28 +0100

> address@hidden writes:
>
> > Second that. ;-)
> >
> > Perhaps we could try out Mailman? It's a fairly sophistimicated
> > doo-hickey with a lot of cool features:

No need to switch to different software, as it can be done easily
with the current combination of a hand crafted script and mhonarc.

@John:
The email addresses could be totally disguised with the sed-command

        s/[^ <address@hidden >]*/(Email Protected)/g

and the mhonarc configuration option

        <ADDRESSMODIFYCODE>
        s/.*/(Email Protected)/ ;
        </ADDRESSMODIFYCODE>

Thus this is no technical problem, but the general questions whether email
addresses of list participiants should be posted over the web or not.

When the addresses are publicized, non list members (including spammers)
can contact list members. The question is whether this is wanted or not.

It might be that being spammed is the price to pay for using free software,
but I were glad if this could be avoided.

Christoph Dalitz