simple matrix problem

From: Joel Jordan
Subject: simple matrix problem
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 05:21:43 -0600

hi,
  I know this is a simple problem I have, but I can't seem to find the
answer in any of the documentation, nor in the archives.
all I want to do is plot a graph from a text file containing two items, and
have the second item (column of numbers to be precise) detrended.

what I've done so far is use fopen, and fscanf to load the file into a
variable 'data'.
So it's a matrix variable.

The problem is, how do I detrend the 2nd column?

I thought maybe the command would be
detrend(data(1))

but data(1) doesn't seem to refer to the 1'st column as I thought.
Do I need to somehow pull out the column into a new vector variable, and
then detrend that?
If so, how do I pull it out into a new variable?  I have't seen operators or
functions which slice up a matrix... and this I think is what I need.

I have no Matlab experience...perhaps that is the reason?  Or have I really
overlooked some part of the manual?  The matrix details are in several
places in the manual, and I'm pretty sure I checked all of them.  Sorry if
I'm being particularly dim :o/

many thanks,
  Joel