Re: Octave segfaults on .oct file + more troubles

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: Octave segfaults on .oct file + more troubles
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 18:47:17 -0600

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 12:23:01AM +0100, Martijn Brouwer wrote:
> When I try g++ 3.3, octave segfaults! I guess on of the problems here
> might be that I have to comple dynamical loaded functions with the same
> compiler as octave has been compiled with. But it does not work with either
> compiler. 2.95 gives even tons of error messages.
>
> Can somebody shed some light on this troubles?

You're spot on:

a) Don't mix compilers between the version octave was built with (== version
number used for its dyn. loadable code) and the one you intend to use for
your dyn. loadable code. Esp. not across major upgrade as in 2.95 to 3.0 to
3.2 to 3.3.

b) Small is beautiful. Rebuild oregenator.cc. Add one class, function, new
header, new library, etc at a time. Add new classes with new interfaces
incrementally. Test test test. Keep the delta small between tested code
bases and new code bases.

Hth, Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx