Re: GMP + Octave Interpreter

From: Tomer Altman
Subject: Re: GMP + Octave Interpreter
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 07:21:46 +0000 (UTC)

Hey Paul,

Some points:

* Thanks; I just wanted to get a sense of what state GMP functionality
  was in.

* I guess I'm thinking very ambitiously about arbitrary precision
  calculations, and their potential. I'm sure there are many
  situations where someone would love to eek out more precision than
  what their hardware provides. For example, is it possible to have an
  entire matrix of 128-bit floating-point numbers, and perform matrix
  manipulations/calculations on them, just as with other data types?

* I guess that I think that GMP is mature enough to add to the main
  Octave package separately, even if it was originally added for GiNaC
  support. It would be very useful for Number Theory, Cryptography,
  Symbolic calculations, and any situation where the user should be
  able to demand greater precision, even at the cost of performance
  penalty.

* In general, is there a well-defined process by which mature parts of
  OctaveForge are merged into the main Octave package? How does it
  work? Also, does anyone have an idea of what percentage of Octave
  users also download OctaveForge ( as gleaned from the ratio of
  downloads of the two projects ) ?

Thank you!

~Tomer