Re: sort of updating Octave

From: Christoph Dalitz
Subject: Re: sort of updating Octave
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:12:09 +0100

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:02:28 +0100
Lute Kamstra <address@hidden> wrote:

> > how can I install the last stable Octave version without removing
> > the one that I have already installed? And, how can I switch between
> > both to test whether my results are the same?
>
> If you use a Unix-like OS, you can build octave from source and
> install it into any directory by using the --prefix=/MY/INSTALL/DIR
> option of configure.  I just installed three octave versions this way;
> I fire up a specific one with octave-VERSION.

A typical directory for custom software is /opt, so that the configure
option would be "--prefix=/opt/octave-2.1.xy".

For easier usage you could link /opt/octave-2.1.xy/bin/octave
to /usr/bin/octave-2.1.xy.

AFAIK the rpm also supports a --prefix option (provided the package is
built as a "relocatable package"). Thus you could also install a binary
rpm into a custom directory.

Christoph