Re: Realtime cost of call by value

From: Glenn Golden
Subject: Re: Realtime cost of call by value
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:20:23 -0700

"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> writes:

> As things are now, I don't think there is any way to do precisely what
> you want, but with a few changes, it could be possible.
>
> Instead of get_global_value and matrix_value, we need functions like
>
>       .
>       .
>       .

OK, well, in the spirit of monkeys with typewriters --  C++ compilers
in this case, me being the monkeys -- I tried what you suggested, more
or less verbatim.  Compilation of the DLD fails though, because in

    octave_value& val = get_global_reference(globname);
    Matrix& a = val.matrix_reference();

there's no resolution for octave_value::matrix_reference().

Does there have to be a matrix_reference() method declared in the
octave_value base class in ov.h...? or something?

(I did add the public member def for matrix_reference() to ov-re-mat.h as

   Matrix& matrix_reference (void);

which seemed vaguely like the right thing to do.)

I also tried the dim-bulb workaround, casting it as

    Matrix& a = ((Matrix &)val).matrix_reference();

but then it segfaults doing the assignment to A(0,0), besides which I
really have no clue if casting like this even makes any sense.  Like
I said, monkeys with C++ compilers.

Hey, I don't mean to turn this into a "debugging by mailing list"
effort for you.  These are probably simple C++ issues that I'm just
not C++-experienced enough to resolve. Maybe there's someone else
out there on the list who [in their copious spare time :)] can help
me get John's suggestion implemented...?

TIA,

Glenn