Re: Realtime cost of call by value

From: Glenn Golden
Subject: Re: Realtime cost of call by value
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:46:35 -0700

John,

"John W. Eaton" writes:
> As things are now, I don't think there is any way to do precisely what
> you want, but with a few changes, it could be possible.
>
>               .
>               .

It's going to take me some time to thoroughly digest what you've
said, but I really appreciate your taking the time to look into it,
and your detailed response.  Amazing that you have time to work the
mailing list so closely and still keep your day job. :)

For the moment, since I really need to make this work for my
application, I'll probably try to hack something together along
the lines you've suggested that gets the job done for me, and
not worry for now about the implicit type conversion issue and
other perversity that I may wind up introducing.  If it does work,
I'll be glad to (try to) clean it up and make it presentable, and
you can see if you want to use it or lose it. Given my level of
non-expertise at C++ though, I'm sure whatever I wind up doing
will need a thorough workover before it would be ready for prime time.

There is one nagging question though: How does the interpreter
manage to allow functions to operate directly on globals and
avoid the copydown? Tomer's example seems to show unequivocally
that this is the case... if so, isn't there some kind of parlor
game that I could play in a DLD, strictly for one-time use, that
would duplicate this behavior?

Glenn