Re: How to write and run .mfiles in octave

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: How to write and run .mfiles in octave
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:14:52 -0500

The way I get my students to find this 'DIR', is to get them to make a new file with the 'EDIT' function and then look where it is stored by default.

example

In octave do:
>> edit dd.m
now in the editor do:
file
 save as
now you will see the default 'DIR'

On my windows system (using Andy Adler's port) the 'DIR' is
C:\Program Files\GNU Octave\octave_files

Doug Stewart

Tomer Altman wrote:
Hi Victor,

Just like in Matlab, you need to tell Octave where to expect to find
M-files. Explore these tidbits:

LOADPATH:
http://www.octave.org/doc/octave_12.html#SEC95

Also, check out the 'path' function. Watch this:

octave> path
LOADPATH contains the following directories:
  ~/code//
octave> path(path,"/usr/share/octave-2.1.50/")
ans = ::~/code//:/usr/share/octave-2.1.50/
octave> path
LOADPATH contains the following directories:
  ~/code//
  /usr/share/octave-2.1.50/
octave>
See how I 'added', or extended the path by typing the seemingly
recursive statement, path(path,"/new/path/to/add") ?

My sixth sense tells me that you're using a Windows OS without
Cygwin. That's a good one; who here knows where this guy could put a
".octaverc" file in plain-vanilla Windows, on order to automagically
load his LOADPATH variable?

Hope this helps!

Cheers, & good luck with your project,

~Tomer