Re: %-Comments in Emacs Octave-Mode

From: Christoph Dalitz
Subject: Re: %-Comments in Emacs Octave-Mode
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:53:16 +0100

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:54:07 -0500
"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:

> | just observed that the Emacs octave-mode does not recognize lines
> | beginning wiht % as comment lines.
>
> Please try the following patch.
>
> -    (modify-syntax-entry ?\% "."  table) ; see above
> +    (modify-syntax-entry ?\% "<"  table)

Thanks for the hint. I could achieve the same with the entry

        (add-hook 'octave-mode-hook '(lambda () (modify-syntax-entry ?\% "<")))

in my ~/.emacs file. There is one quibble yet: '%'-comments are indented
to end of the line rather than left were they are put. Is there a way
to make '%' comments behave like '##' comments?

> The problem that the deleted comment
> refers to has apparently been fixed, so indenting and font locking
> both appear to work properly now for things like
>
>   sprintf ("%s" "some string")

This works correctly, but

    sprintf ('%s', 'some string')

not. I am using emacs 20.7 which ships with the latest Debian.

Thanks,

Christoph