Re: What linux distro is recommended

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: What linux distro is recommended
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:22:02 -0600

Obed Sands wrote:

Bought a new computer and want to  build linux and run octave.

What is recommded for this? What works out-of-the-box?

Used SuSE in the past and was pretty happy but 7.2 won't build Octave.

Many distributions come with Octave as part of the distribution, although they will generally will not have the newest version. I like RedHat, and I have posted some RPMS for RedHat 9, Octave version 2.1.49, on my website (www.ee.byu.edu/~qhs/octave). I believe there are several users on this list who would recommend Debian. The advantage of Debian is you can use apt-get to install the latest version without compiling anything yourself.

-Quentin