Re: Another newbie question

From: Arinos de A. Barbuto
Subject: Re: Another newbie question
Date: 31 Jul 2003 20:02:03 -0400

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 10:58, John W. Eaton wrote:

> | Take Excel as an example. One can increase
> | the floating point representation of any real number by as many
> | decimal places as he/she wants. However, only zeroes are shown
> | from the 14th decimal place on. It also marvels me that a much-
> | less-than-professional program such as Windows Calculator can
> | represent real numbers with 31 exact decimal places -- and Octave
> | can't.
>
> If you are trolling, find another venue.  If you have a real proposal
> for improving things, submit a patch.

        No trolling at all, that name in the header is my real name. I
am pretty new to Octave, it's been barely one month since I started
using it. I'm new to this list as well, and BTW English is not my first
language. All I wrote above is true, and I did it with the best of the
intents. It was not meant to insult anyone nor should it be taken
personally. I don't know what a patch is, let alone how to submit one.
I visited Octave's page but couldn't make much sense out of this patch
thing. I will read it over again later.

> |          For the time being, a warning in Octave's manual would
> | suffice. That can be easily done -- or can't?

> Sure.  Submit a patch for the docs if you want to contribute and help
> improve Octave.

        Will do, as soon as I learn how to submit a patch.

--
Fausto Arinos de A. Barbuto <address@hidden>