Re: interesting FFT benchmarking!

From: Geraint Paul Bevan
Subject: Re: interesting FFT benchmarking!
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:30:03 +0100

address@hidden wrote:

> Anybody has any idea of what is going on here? Octave transforms complex
> signals as fast as Matlab transforms real signals, and transforms real
> signals as slow as matlab does with complex signals!! Why isn't the
> transform from real signals faster in octave?...

I may be wrong, but I think you'll find that Octave converts real data
into complex data before performing a Fourier transform.

If you look in liboctave/oct-fftw.h, you will notice that there is no
declaration for octave_fftw involving real matrices.

An additional clue is the fact that only the complex variants of fftpack
are present in libcruft/fftpack.

--
Geraint Bevan
Department of Mechanical Engineering